Thursday, November 13, 2008

Safety in numbers

Somehow I made it in and out of Whole Foods in under five minutes, and only spent $5.88! That has to be some kind of record. The secret? Buy in bulk! I saw a shaker of garlic salt for $3.75, and got the same amount for $.17. Can't beat that! I also got over a pound of steel-cut oats for $1.42. Woohoo! And I had to get some 'mallows so I can make a real cup of hot chocolate. This is made with fish gelatin, so it fits in with my pescaterian diet.





Like all the other bloggers, I too went in search of the pear streusel Clif bar, but to no avail. They did have a nice sample of brie with some kind of fruit jelly, served on little melba toasts.


So, last night my friend Ben and I started talking about tofu, and ended up exchanging recipes. I gave him Gliding Calm's lovely rub, and he told me about a delicate BBQ tofu.


Ben's "delicate" BBQ tofu


soy sauce (I used low sodium)
garlic salt
BBQ sauce (Ben likes Annie's sweet and spicy, I used Annie's low fat original)
cooking spray


Cut pressed, extra-firm tofu into slices, at least 1/4-inch thick but not paper thin. Lay flat on a plate and marinate in soy sauce. Sprinkle garlic salt evenly over each piece (don't want random spots of extra flavor) and let stand at least 20 minutes (I refrigerated it so the cats wouldn't get at it... Betty Ford really likes tofu!). Flip and repeat.


Lightly spray a skillet and cook tofu over medium-low heat, until golden brown. Make sure it's cooked enough because it will break if not, depending on the thickness of your slices. Flip, and cook the other side until it is also golden brown.

Place a dollop of BBQ sauce on each slice, and spread evenly. Cook for a few minutes longer; as soon as you flip so the sauce is face down, it accelerates the cooking process. Flip, and dollop and spread the other sides with BBQ sauce.


Cook for a few minutes, then flip a final time so the newly sauced sides will be cooked. Tofu should be firm, but not burnt. Remove from heat and set aside.

NB: Best served if you wait at least an hour, if not more, and eat like deli slices.


It turned out pretty well! I had it along with steamed broccoli and a sweet potato with B&B and brown sugar, just like my mama makes it.


I added three prunes (or "dried plums," as the packages says to make it sound more appealing) to my plate.



Katey and I have been hard at work for a few hours, and needed a late-night study snack. We made bowls of yogurt with pumpkin, Heart2Heart, chocolate chips and honey. De-lish.


I'm working on a secret vegan soup. Check back for the recipe tomorrow! Hope everyone has fun (or just relaxing) weekend plans. Bonne nuit!

No comments: