Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Balancing Act

Here's a little blast from the past... Mom, Dad, me, c. 1988.



Something funky is going on with my internet... I've had bars all night but the pages wouldn't load. I lost the whole day's post! GRR.

My poetry prof saw me scooting up the stairs (on my bum) and brought the class down to the first floor to accommodate me... so nice. I'm so excited for class on Friday- we're going to be making books! I munched on a Kashi bar during class.




I'm running low on groceries and am out of all of my bars except these... I'm scared to brave the store by myself so I'll surely be making a trip with my parents when they come!

When I was in Paris, my host mom often made simple salads of tofu and tomatoes, drizzled with balsamic and oil. I did this today to use up the ingredients in the fridge; I used toasted sesame oil to make things a little more interesting.

Instant pumpkin pie! Nonfat plain yogurt, pumpkin, pecans and a squirt of honey. Mm-mm good.


Juicy grapes...




The white cup in the background is this awesome re-usable thermos that Luke got me for my birthday. It's porcelain with a silicone lid, can keep things hot or cold, and when they're hot, they don't burn you! I tested it out today with coffee and a little skim. I felt pretty cool toting it around.



Genius!

I had a latte pick me up after class and a little trail mix I'd baggied weeks ago... it was still good though!


I was in serious need of comfort food for dinner. It feels like every muscle in my body is on fire, and I got so hot and sweaty from bouncing and hopping and pushing on the crutches all day. I tried to make a sort of veggie spaghetti bolognese with shirataki house noodles. It wasn't as flavorful as I would have liked, but it was filling.



I like to use these noodles in brothy soups to make healthy and tasty ramen-style dishes.







1 package House shirataki noodles

1 tomato, diced

1 clove garlic

cooking spray

3/4 cup Morningstar Farms Meal Starters, Grillers Recipe Crumbles

2 tbsp yogurt

crushed red pepper

grated parmesan

salt, pepper


Coat pan with cooking spray and add garlic; sauté for 1 minute. Add crumbles and crushed pepper and cook until heated through, 1-2 minutes. Add tomato, cook 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Add noodles, cook 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir in yogurt. Season with salt, pepper, and parmesan.



I went to Sarah's to watch Project Runway... it was a really sad episode! And we were all shocked at the end- totally unexpected. Anyway, Sarah gave me a delicious caramel apple with coconut and chocolate chips. I never would have thought to put these on! DELICIOUS.


I have to re-watch The Scarlet Empress for my Russian paper before I can go to bed. It has to be returned at 9 AM tomorrow, after which I have a pretty busy day. Hope everyone had a good Wednesday... we're over the hump already!

No comments: