Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Burn #768: Potholders, people!

My internet has been so funky, so I'm just copying and pasting the blog post I wrote in Word last night for dinner.

I took another doozy of a nap… The House of Mirth wasn’t so great, sadly, and I couldn’t help my eyelids from drooping. Betty Ford was nice enough to get me up, though… By sitting on my head and licking my nose!

Dinner was a stir-fry… In the making of which I burned three fingers of my hand by grabbing the panhandle without a rag, dropped my camera on the floor (hitting my toes on the way down), and broke a glass. I’m a little absent-minded today for some reason! I’m going to blame in on Monday.



I had a glass of wine (cabernet sauvignon) someone left at my house on Friday, along with carrots and goat cheese and Manchego on a rye sesame cracker.





Shrimp and Veggie-rific Stir Fry

¼ cup water chestnuts, quartered

1/3 romaine lettuce, cut widthwise (through the head) and chopped into slivers

1/3 onion (I used Vidalia), chopped

½ tsp ginger powder

1/5 cup canola oil


8 oz mixed veggies (I used a frozen carrot/cauliflower/broccoli blend)


8 cooked shrimp, thawed if frozen, tails removed, cut into thirds

1 small jalepeño pepper, chopped


salt to taste

¼ cup red wine


1 cup cooked brown rice


toasted sesame oil for garnish






Makes 2-3 servings

I adapted this recipe from this coming Wednesday’s Dining Out section of the Times (my favorite!).


-Heat a third of the oil in a large pan. Add water chestnuts, tossing with a little salt, and cooking on high until they are brown
around the edges. Remove from heat and save.

-Heat another third of the oil. Add lettuce, onion, and veggies, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes on medium-high eat. Stir in a little salt. CAUTION: oil can “pop”, so watch out, it’s
VERY HOT. Add about ¼ cup water. Remove from heat and set aside.

Add remaining oil to pain. Add shrimp, ginger, and jalepeño. Cook 1-2 minutes. Return chestnuts, and veggie/lettuce mixture to pan. Add rice, stirring over medium until heated through. Add wine and a few tablespoons more of water, mixing thoroughly. Remove from heat and serve, drizzling a little toasted sesame one each individual portion.



I ate about half of the recipe (which I halved from the NYTimes). I could have used a bit less oil, but I’ll know that in the future. The sesame oil was the perfect finishing touch.

When I was in Paris, I remember flipping through the French ELLE and reading what the “worst” things women who were polled confessed to doing on a semi-regularly basis. The two I remember were “eating Nutella” and “taking baths de temps en temps.” Now that I’m safe from seeing Nutella on every corner (Nutella banana crêpes = a heaven worth every little bite of sin), I’m guilty of taking baths on a semi-regular basis. I do feel guilty about using up so much water, but I guess I justify it to myself by staying in there for a while and using it to stay warm. And, Betty Ford is so intrigued by the bathtub when it’s filled with water (Blue is too jaded to care) that he’s sits on the ledge the entire time, trying to get up the courage to stick his paw into the water. It is so cute! So it almost makes it worth all that waste…

When I got out of the tub, I had my last birthday truffle: hot chocolate. This was SO RICH and ended up leaving my mouth feeling pretty fiery! I gulped a glass of water down afterwards, the ganache was so thick! But delicious, of course!


I’m going to be up bright and early for an 8 AM appointment to get my leg checked out … Wish me luck and good news!

No comments: