Monday, October 13, 2008

Monday night BBQ

An apple a day makes my bones grow o-kay...



Just me for dinner tonight. I've been itching to cook all weekend, so I "fired up" the stove and watched an episode of Greek. I made two things I've been wanting to have for a while, just lacked the proper ingredients: kale chips and barbecue tofu.


I think I'm going to fiddle with this recipe the next time I make it, but here's what I did:

Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl, combine 3 bunches of leafed 1-inch pieces of kale with 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt, 2 tablespoons oil. Mix well. Spread kale on cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until crispy.


I liked these, but I'd like to tone down a little of the kale's natural bitterness with a little honey or maple syrup. I'd also probably use half of the oil net time, even though this recipe asked for twice what I used.


While I was making the tofu, I had a glass of Shiraz and a rye cracker with goat cheese, manchego and a couple grapes.



To make the tofu, I used Annie's original low fat bbq sauce.



I rubbed half a block of pressed tofu in a tablespoon of toasted sesame oil, then slathered the pieces in two tablespoons of bbq sauce. I cooked the tofu at 350 for 30 minutes, turning once after 15 minutes. I ate it with steamed broccoli and a little extra sauce. Delish!


Dessert was a cup of sugar free Jello rice pudding in crême brulé. It was surprisingly good and didn't have that gross artificial sweetener taste I hate.


I'm going to get in bed and watch Mostly Martha.... I've had it from Netflix for over two weeks! It's the original version of No Reservations, that cooking movie with Aaron Eckhart and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

No comments: