Friday, October 17, 2008

Pump 'n munch


It took us somewhere between 4 and 5 hours to get here yesterday; we hit a little traffic and I kind of lost my sense of time on the highway. I got a latte at Coffee News before I left, with skim milk and a packet of raw sugar. It wasn't very good; it tasted a little burned.


"Lunch":


PB & Jelly Dipped Clif Mojo (high in fat but pretty tasty):


Pumpkin square (these might end up being my downfall! Luckily there's only one left):



Getting close...


We had a delicious and fresh home-cooked meal that Jalene's parents made. Her dad, Jim, caught Walleye at their cabin in Canada, and made a Guatemalan lime and onion sauce to go with it. So good. I'm going to try to recreate this sauce on my own; I think it would be great in a lot of other dishes.



I went back for a tiny bite ore of the fish. We also had sweet squash (I forgot the name of it), roasted potatoes and veggies, and a spinach, tomato, cucumber and feta salad (with light balsamic dressing).


We had a little red and white wine. The white, called Vouvray, is Jalene's mom (Tyanne)'s favorite wine. Jalene and I were chastised for not knowing where in France Vouvray grapes are from.... I just looked it up on Wikipedia and they're from the Loire valley, east of Tours. Next time I'll know! It was really good, sweet but not saccharine.




I had a Hershey bar for dessert... I never have these, but it ended up being exactly what I wanted! I also had half a graham cracker. There was some talk about building a fire and making s'mores tonight... I wouldn't complain!


The Bone Collector was, up until yesterday, the scariest movie I have ever seen. I'm not going to spoil it, but its plot is one of the most terrifying for New Yorkers. I saw it when I was 12, and wanted to watch it again for "closure"- and it worked! Really though, it's great... I love thrillers much more than horror films because they could, and probably do, happen. It's nice to get a little scared sometimes, especially since Halloween is only two weeks away!

We're at Brewed Awakenings, the coffeehouse in the town of Grand Rapids. We'll probably be here most of the day, because we have a lot of work (vacation, what?) and they have wireless. I got a yerba mate tea latte with skim milk, and had a mini cinnamon raisin bagel right before we left.



I've been "splurging" a lot more than I usually do, and I'm not sure if it's because I think I need more comfort food because I'm still feeling a little sorry for myself for being on crutches, or what. I think I'm okay for now; I've been getting enough protein and nutrients and eating pretty balanced, except for the sweets... I guess I'll just play it by ear, for now.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

your doctor sounds like a bigger a-hole than mine! you win!

yes, i actually just bought myself a water running belt and i'm going to try it out tomorrow! so checkie it out then, i'll let you know how it goes!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Pumpkin Square + home-cooked meal = can't get much better than that! :0)