Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ain't No Sunshine

It's been yet another cold and rainy day. It feels great to bike in a light drizzle after a workout though, so I can't complain too much.

I had a very short run today. I ran a mile at 5.4 mph, walked at 4.0 mph for .25 miles, started running again, and got off the treadmill at 1.36. If I had just run straight without stopping I probably would have been fine, but after the brisk walk my calves were sore. Before my run I did a bunch of stretches and squats. The trainer at the gym said the most important muscles to train are in the core, but also to work with my own body weight. Hello, Pilates!

Since I slept so late (noon!) I didn't really feel like going to campus for a while so I relaxed around the house in my PJs. I've been craving zucchini bread for a few weeks, ever since we got some in Amish country on the way from New York. I adapted a recipe in last week's Dining Out section, and it turned out very nicely.


The finished product:

Jalene made me a 3 minute egg while I was mixing. I probably shouldn't be writing this, but I cannot make hard-boiled eggs. They never turn out! They're always too hard and the yolk is disgusting, mostly because I get nervous that it won't be cooked all the way through. I'm also not very good about peeling them... Does anyone know a better way? I read something about plunging them into cold water to loosen the shell. My sad little egg:


I mushed it up with yogurt, salt and pepper. Next time I'll try paprika or something. I've been craving spices recently for some reason... Good thing we have a well-stocked pantry!


I had leftovers from last night (sweet potato/ bean patty and asparagus) and a slice of zucchini bread, and the vitamins I was too tired to take this morning with a glass of Emergen-C.


I brought a Balance Pure bar to the concert as a snack. I 'm glad I did; it was pretty much a big dance party for two hours (or bop/bounce party for me; I'm not winning a dancing award anytime soon). So much fun!


I came back and ate some pickles. Perfect end to the evening.... Unfortunately it's not quite over as I have a bunch of work to do!

No comments: