Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Homebodies

I think Jalene and I are slowly converging into one person. More on that later... We had some blue chips and Salsa Lisa in the pineapple ginger flavor to aid our studies. The salsa was good, although my sense of smell isn't in full swing right now.


Some Kombucha (on sale or I never would have paid FOUR DOLLARS for it) to wash down shots of cough syrup:

Toni's soup has ended up being a two-day process; it's definitely something that should be saved for a day when I know I'll be home for five straight hours. While it was simmering, I started the polenta. This bag (Red Arrow brand, i LOVE this stuff) is also from the Amish discount store in Knox, Pennsylvania.


I've never cooked my own polenta before, so I used the back of the bag and a recipe from Skinny Bitch In The Kitch as a guide and added my own topping.

6 cups water

1 tsp salt


1.5 cups polenta

1 tbsp butter


2 tbsp olive oil


1 red bell pepper


1/2 large tomato (garden fresh from Grand Rapids, MN)


1/3 red onion


2 garlic cloves


After bringing the salt and water to a boil, I added the polenta in a steady stream, stirring constantly (this is very important as the grains can clump at the bottom of the skillet). Meanwhile, I sautéed the garlic in the oil for two minutes, then added onions for two minutes, then the pepper for two more, and finally the tomato (in descending order of cooking time). When this was done the polenta was very thick. I stirred in the butter and it was ready to serve, topped with the pepper/onion/tomato mixture.



The soup turned out well. All we added to the mix was a clove of garlic and a can of diced tomatoes.


Look at all those beans!


We have so many leftovers in the fridge so we're not allowed to cook for at least two nights. The polenta is dangerous to have around because it tastes just like corn pudding, and I can see myself sneaking spoonfuls on the way to my room!

I still have a ton of reading to do, but hopefully I can get enough rest to kick this cold.

No comments: