Thursday, September 11, 2008

Breakfast ponderings

I woke up to a very sad email from my mom. Our very good family friend passed away last night after years of fighting cancer. He lived a lot longer than the doctors had predicted and tried all sorts of experimental treatments. He also had a great big standard poodle.




It's also the anniversary of September 11, although it's cold and gray and looks nothing like it did seven years ago. I remember not really understanding why it was so bad that there was a plane crash (besides the obvious) but then we could see the smoke all the way from Riverdale and I started to get it. It seems like such a long time ago. My friends Ilena, Hannah and I had a bake sale on Broadway outside of Citarella and raised $650 (which was doubled by a matching program from Time Warner) and donated it to the Red Cross. I remember people on the street giving us $20 for a couple cookies, to contribute to the relief. Even if it's been analyzed and re-analyzed to "prove" false, there was such a sense of community and camaraderie in the city.

I was going to go to the gym before my appointment, but I didn't want to rush so I'm going to go before class instead. I made oatmeal, tricked-out with all the goodies. With Emergen-C, vitamins and some much-needed coffee:


3/4 cup milk

1/2 cup oats

3 dried apricots (they're unbleached organic, which is why they're dark brown)

1 tsp flax seeds

walnuts

scoop of PB

It's possible to grind the flax to make a sort of meal, but I like the nutty texture of the whole seeds. I'm going to resist the temptation to get back into bed and read instead.


I read about this book in January, but I couldn't find it anywhere in Paris. I finally got it at one of my favorite bookstores, The Bookcase in Wayzata. It's about a woman born in China, raised in New Orleans, and she lived in Europe for over 10 years. And the best part: it's about food! I found an unbelievable sounding recipe for peaches that I will try to make this weekend before they have time to go out of season.

No comments: