Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Martha, Martha, Martha!

Today was a long but leisurely day. I decided I really needed to take the day off exercising (aside from biking to and from campus). I'll resume tomorrow, but all the soreness was a sign of my body resisting something and I really don't want to get an injury.

I bumped into Megan after my morning class and went with her to Jamba Juice. I'd been planning on getting coffee at Dunn Bros. next door, but carrot juice sounded really appealing. I got 16 oz with a free boost of soy protein (8 or 9 grams). Let me just say, I should have gone with my gut and gotten a B-vitamin boost, because the protein gave the juice a TERRIBLE flavor, and it was almost undrinkable. Since I shelled out almost $4 for it I wanted to finish it, but by the time I got to the last sips the taste got so bad that I had to just toss it. Next time I'll know better.


They had samples at the adjoining Breadsmith; I had one.


After classes Jalene and I went to Whole Foods to pick up some last minute things for a dinner I've been planning for a couple days. They had many samples (which I neglected to photograph), but I had 3 cheese cubes, an orange slice (which I ended up buying one of: Australian navel), and a piece of pineapple. Dinner was from The Cafe Brenda Cookbook for a salmon recipe.

Brenda Langton is a local restauranteur here in the Twin Cities. I've gone to Spoonriver with my grandparents for brunch many times; she prides herself on using fresh and local ingredients as much as possible. I adapted her recipe a little, but the end result was pretty good. Served with steamed broccoli and wild rice:


Some fresh cantaloupe (from Andola... everyting is from an "A" place today!)



Here's the adapted recipe:

Serves 2

1/2 cup dry white wine

1/2 cup cleaned cranberries, fresh or frozen

juice of 1/2 orange

1/4 tsp grated orange peel

2 chopped basil leaves

pinch of salt

pinch of pepper

1 tsp honey

2 salmon fillets

basil for garnish


Blend wine and cranberries until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and add orange juice; bring to a boil. Add orange peel, chopped basil, honey, salt and pepper. Meanwhile, preheat broiler 5-10 minutes . Place fillets on broiler rack, 2-4 inches from heat. Check fillets after 3 minutes (they do not need to be turned); they cook very quickly. Pour sauce over fish, garnish with basil, and serve.

No comments: