Thursday, September 11, 2008

Call to arms

Well, not literally, but the theme of the end of my day was the education crisis in America. I went to the Teach For America meeting and while I'm not necessarily going to apply to work with them for the next two years, I hope I'll at least be more mindful of the problem. I'm watching some of the Columbia interviews with McCain and Obama from earlier this evening (you can find them here ) and one thing that I really admire about Obama's platform is his plan to institute a scholarship for every American to use for college, in exchange for them to give back to the community (AmeriCorps or Teach for America, for example). Whew, that was a long sentence. Anyway, just something to think about.

Between class and Pilates I did some reading and had a snack of half a scoop of Dessert protein powder mixed into club soda. I usually like to blend the powder with milk, a banana and ice, but I didn't have access to a blender at school and I was so excited to find this one banana that I just gobbled it up.




I ate in the cafeteria after Pilates and had a bit of a comfort meal: tofu taco salad, sweet potato fries, and tuna salad. The tuna at the salad bar is hit or miss; sometimes it's really sweet (I don't want to know why) and others it's really salty. Today it was drenched in mayo and sweet. I added carrots and peas to it to disguise the taste, although honestly, I didn't taste very much since I was in such a rush to get to the meeting. In the taco salad is ground tofu, vegetarian refried beans, brown rice, a little cheese, tomato, lettuce, and salsa (I didn't end up using the sour cream).




I came home and, continuing my "comfort," had some Edy's Loaded Cookie Dough ice cream and watched my not-so-secret indulgence, Gossip Girl. And it soooo did not disappoint. Ah, I love television.



Max helped me haul the rest of my dresser out of his basement; it is wet with mold and covered with cobwebs and spiders. Jalene's at work and it's too heavy/ awkward for me to move by myself, so it's just going to relax in my car until tomorrow. Everything will come together one day soon....

No comments: